<< All Upwork (oDesk) and Elance Tests << Upwork (oDesk) test answers << English Language category
See all 6 tests answers updated
Find Upwork (oDesk) and Elance test answers on this website:
1. A technical report should contain the following:
• Biodata of the writer
• Factual information
• Graphics, wherever possible
• Non-technical content
• Fuzzy logic
2. An "Executive Summary" can be part of a:
• Business Proposal
• Control Plan
• Investment Plan
• Business Plan
3. Which of the following are the characteristic features of "Plain English?"
• Keeping sentences short
• Using active voice
• Using words that are appropriate for the reader
• Using passive voice
4. Which of the following is true regarding the "Table of Contents?"
• It is the same as an index.
• It is a method of accessing the information contained in a document.
• It is a list of topics with links to each topic.
• It can be omitted in a technical document.
5. What should you do to avoid plagiarism?
• Just make sure to copy from obscure sources.
• Cite sources when using copyrighted material.
• Obtain permission before using copyrighted material.
• Use only Government sources.
• None of the above
6. Which of the following are Help Authoring Software?
• Microsoft HTML Help
• RoboHelp HTML
• HTML Help
7. If you want to write a technical report on how type-1 diabetes is treated, you will probably include:
• What causes type-1 diabetes
• Effects of the disease on the offspring of the affected
• How the disease is treated
• The kind of technologies available to treat the disease
8. Which of the following works are not protected?
• Literary works
• Standard calendars
• Height and weight charts
• Motion pictures
9. Which of the following can you include in a Progress Report?
• What work remains to be done
• How much time it will take to complete the work
• How the previous project was progressing
• The success level of previously undertaken projects
10. Which of the following statements are true if the cell B1 contains the formula =$A$1?
• The value of cell B1 contains the same number of characters as the value of cell B2.
• There is an absolute reference to cell A1 so that the formula =$A$1 can be copied to other cells without changing the reference to A1.
• There is a relative reference to cell A1 so the formula will change each time it is copied to other cells.
• The value of cell B1 is equal to the value of the function in cell A1.
11. Which are the two types of specification documentations?
12. Which of the following sentences/options describes an "index?"
• Product names and technical terminology that are included in a document
• A method of accessing the information that is included in the document
• An ordered list of words and phrases
13. Choose the correct option(s) to make a semantically correct sentence. A pronoun is a word which ____________
• should not replace a noun or a noun phrase.
• can substitute for a noun or a noun phrase.
• can be substituted for a noun or a noun phrase.
• can replace a noun or a noun phrase.
14. What are screen shots?
• Graphics of computer screens that are captured to be inserted in a technical document
• Pictures that are downloaded from the Internet and inserted in a document, for instance, to help illustrate the instruction manual
• Graphics that are created by a designer as an illustrated step-by-step manual
• All of the above
15. State whether true or false: A person's work is only recognized as original if it has a copyright notice attached.
16. The name for a set of fonts is termed:
• Keyword face
• Typefont face
17. Choose the correct option among the following: You have opened a page through Internet Explorer and want to see that page on your desktop. You should click the __________ menu, click on _________ and then click _________.
• Send, File, Shortcut to Desktop
• File, Send, Shortcut to Desktop
• File, New, Shortcut to Desktop
• View, Send, Shortcut to Desktop
18. What are sections used for in a Word document?
• To divide the document into parts so that each part may be independently printed when the print command is given
• To divide the document into parts so as to allow certain parts of the document to display data from a table
• To divide the document into parts so as to allow certain parts of the document to display data from the Internet
• To vary the layout of a document within a page or between pages and then allow formatting of each part the way you want
19. Abstracts can be of two types ??? ___________ and ___________.
• informative, descriptive
• descriptive, garrulous
• garrulous, conclusive
• conclusive, garrulous
20. Which of the following statements is the most correct and most effective way of writing?
• The Sigma level of the processes in which a company is involved in is an indicator of how the company is faring in their business processes.
• Companies measure their business performance by the Sigma level of their processes.
• The best indicator of how a company is faring in their business processes is to see the Sigma level of their processes in which they are involved.
21. How do you insert a sound file in a Microsoft Word 2007 document?
• Go to the Insert tab -> Select the Object menu option
• Go to the Insert tab -> Select the Sound menu option
• Go to the Insert tab -> Select the File menu option
• By right-clicking on the document and choosing the "Add sound" option
22. Using the thoughts and writings of other people and passing them as your own is known as_______.
23. What nature of information does a specification document contain?
• Information used by programmers
• Information used by amateurs in software programming
• Information used by a person who wants to build a product or process
• Information used by geeks and hackers
24. The __________ abstract should include all the important sections of the report.
25. Choose the correct pronouns to fill in the blanks. ______ and ______ have always understood each other although ______ have always been in different camps.
• You, I, us
• You, me, ourselves
• You, I, ourselves
• You, I, we
26. A legal violation of a copyright could be a(n) ___________.
• Social matter
• Criminal matter
• Political matter
• Civil matter
• Academic matter
27. If you would like to enter a part number for a product in Excel, e.g., 6776736, and would like Excel to treat it as text and not a number, what should you do?
• Place the character T before the number, e.g., T6776736.
• Place the characters TX before the number, e.g., TX6776736.
• Enclose the number in parentheses, e.g., (6776737).
• Apply the Text Format to the cell.
28. Choose the right option(s) to fill in the blank(s). I find it very hard to remember ______ letters entrusted to me. I remember ______ to do so scores of times.
• posting, to forget
• to post, to forget
• to post, forgetting
• posting, forgetting
29. A PDF file can be viewed if ____________ is installed.
• Microsoft Office Professional Edition 2003
• Adobe Acrobat Reader
• Macromedia Flash MX
• WinRAR Archiver
30. Can you insert a new table inside a cell of an existing table in a Microsoft Word document?
31. STC stands for:
• Society for Technical Communication
• Society for Technical Contents
• Standard Technical Contents
• Standard Technical Communication
32. How can you select all the blank cells in your Excel worksheet?
• This must be done manually as it cannot be automated through any built-in feature.
• Choose Edit -> Select -> Blank under the main menu.
• Choose Edit -> Go To -> Special menu option.
• Choose Edit -> Go To -> Go To Special dialog box -> Blanks
33. In Microsoft Excel, you select the row headings 10, 11, and 12 and then choose the menu option Insert -> Rows. What will happen?
• Three new rows will be inserted after row 12.
• One new row will be inserted after row 12.
• Three new rows will be inserted after row 9.
• One new row will be inserted after row 9.
34. Choose the correct pronouns to fill in the blanks. Let ______ all go for a walk except ______, because ______ is so tired.
• we, she, she
• us, her, she
• us, she, she
• we, her, she
35. A feasibility and evaluation report is an example of:
• Report topic
• Report type
• Report audience
• Report purpose
36. Choose the correct prepositions to fill in the blanks. ______ lack of funds, the plan fell ______.
• For, down
• From, through
• For, through
• For, out
37. Which of the following examples of headings is most effective?
• How Auto Parts can be Assembled
• How to Assemble Auto Parts
• Assembling Auto Parts
• The Assembling of the Auto Parts
38. Does a user guide usually contain warranties and disclaimers?
39. Which of the following best defines RoboHELP?
• It is an operating system.
• It is an application software that helps create "computer help files" in various formats.
• It is a software that assists amateurs in technical writing.
• It is a utility software that helps design graphics.
• It is a flowcharting tool.
40. State whether true or false: Different states have different copyright laws in America.
41. Choose the correct preposition to fill in the blank. All the people injured in the accident have been admitted ______ a hospital.
42. What are "abstracts?"
• Conclusions of the report contents
• Comments on the report contents
• Summaries of the contents of a report or a document
43. Choose the correct sentence.
• A gentleman was walking along a road dressed in blue with green trees on both sides.
• A dressed in blue gentleman was walking along a road with green trees on both sides.
• A gentleman was walking along a road with green trees on both sides dressed in blue.
• A gentleman dressed in blue was walking along a road with green trees on both sides.
44. PDF is an acronym for:
• Protected Document Format
• Portable Data File
• Portable Document Formatting
• Portable Document Format
45. The details of design, make, installation, and usage of a particular product are known as:
• Technical reporting
• Technical specification
• Technical documentation
• Technical summary
46. A diamond shaped box in a flowchart signifies:
• A start/end symbol
• A decision that must be made
• The flow of control
• Processing steps
47. Choose the correct sentence from the following:
• Select your country from the drop lists in the country fields.
• Select your country from the drop-down list in the country's field.
• Select your country from the drop-down list in the country field.
• Select your country from the drops-down list in the country's field.
48. How are spelling errors displayed in Microsoft Word?
• A green wavy line under the wrong spelling
• The word with the wrong spelling has a strike-through font.
• A red wavy line under the wrong spelling
• The color of the word with the wrong spelling will change to red.
49. A document that consists of instructions on how to use or troubleshoot a product is known as a _________.
• Help guide
• Troubleshooting guide
• Design pamphlet
• User guide
50. Which of the following statement(s) is/are true about Technical Evaluation Reports?
• The Evaluation report is also called the feasibility report.
• The Evaluation report mentions whether the proposed method is practically and logically possible or not.
• The Evaluation report always recommends the company to use the proposed method.
51. What does a Primary Research Report describe?
• It describes findings and interpretation from field or laboratory research.
• It describes ideas about how to start a new business venture.
• It is a description of the operational details of a new product.
• It describes newly researched, potential organizational policies.
52. A document written in the ________ tense sends the message immediately and is easier to comprehend.
• past continuous
53. What is a "procedure?"
• A list of steps that tells the user how to perform a task
• A description of the technical specifications
• A description of how a system operates
54. Which is the standard language used to create Web pages?
• Hypertext Markup Language (HTML)
55. What do Functional Specifications in a technical document include?
• Components that are required to create the product or service
• A diagrammatic representation of how the finished product will look
• A daily report recording the assembly of the product
• An illustrative representation of how the product will work once the product is built
56. A Business Plan Report usually contains:
• A plan seeking to start a new business
• A proposal seeking approval to do a specific project
• A plan seeking approval to do developmental work on an existing project
57. Which of the following is a diagram drawing software application used to draw diagrams like flowcharts?
• Microsoft Project
58. A list of books, articles, or Web pages that a writer referenced in his document is known as:
• Table of Contents
59. To be a good technical writer, you have to:
• Include unknown terms and non-words.
• Avoid jargon.
• Include abstract words and phrases.
• Use acronyms and abbreviations.
60. What does a circle indicate in a flowchart?
• It indicates that a particular step is connected with some other parts of a program
• It indicates the beginning of the process.
• It indicates a decision to be taken in the process.
• It indicates a linear flow of the process.
61. What is the quickest way to select all the columns of a worksheet in Microsoft Excel 2007?
• Click on the column heading of the first column, press Shift, and then click on the column heading of the last column.
• Click on the column heading of the first column, press Ctrl, and then click on the column heading of the last column.
• Choose Edit -> Select all from the main menu.
• Click on the gray rectangle on the upper left corner of the worksheet where the column headings and row headings meet.
62. The first thing you should do when you are starting out to write a technical report is to:
• Decide what type of document you are required to write.
• Decide on the items you will put in the glossary.
• Write the index of the report.
• Write the technical specifications of the product or service you are writing about.
63. The average number of words in a sentence should be:
• Between 10-20
• More than 30
• Less than 8
• Between 30-35
64. Documents that help to get an organization hired or approved to undertake a project are known as:
• Business Proposals
• Business Plans
• Investment Plans
• Bidding Plans
65. What would you call a report that gives a background on a particular topic, say greenhouse gases?
• Evaluation report
• Technical background report
• Technical background specifications report
• Secondary research background report
66. What does the term "Glossary" mean?
• An ordered list of phrases.
• An alphabetic list of words and phrases in which each word or phrase is defined.
• An unordered list of words and phrases.
67. How can you resize the width or height of a picture in a Microsoft Word document?
• By dragging the sizing handles that appear at the edges of the picture
• By altering the height and width values on the "Size" Tab available at the Format -> Picture menu
• By right-clicking on the picture and selecting the Format Picture dialog box. Then select the Size tab and change the height and width values.
• By right-clicking on the picture and choosing the "Picture Size" option
68. The _______________ appears before (and, possibly, immediately after) the table of contents in a document.
• White matter
• White paper
• Front paper
• Front matter
69. You have to prepare an essay in Microsoft Word consisting of only 250 words. What is the most convenient way for you to count the total number of words in your document?
• First justify the document (both left and right justified), then count the number of words on one line, and multiply them by the number of lines to get a rough count.
• Select the text that you have to count and right-click the mouse. Choose the "Word count" option.
• Choose the "Word count" from the Review Tab main menu.
• Choose the "Paragraph statistics" option under the View menu.
• Count each word one by one, since there is currently no tool available for counting the number of words.
70. Which of the following characters must be added before a fraction value, e.g. 1/3, to avoid entering it as a date in Microsoft Excel 2007?
• 0 (zero)
71. State whether true or false: A copyright in the context of authorship immediately becomes the property of the person who wrote the work.
72. Which of the following date formats is NOT available when entering a date into a cell in Microsoft Excel 2007?
73. As a writer, what do you do when you create a macro?
• You create a shortcut for performing repetitive tasks in a program.
• You work on several files at the same time.
• You download software from the Internet that helps organize tasks.
• You break up work tasks into manageable parts.
• You combine small sub-tasks into a macro-task.
74. Choose the correct sentence:
• Unless the world controls its population, mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
• Unless the world does not control its population, mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
• Unless the world controls its population, till then mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
• Unless the world fails to control its population, mankind will continue to face one problem after another.
75. What is a "white paper?"
• An authoritative and detailed report
• A conclusive report
• A blank page on a computer screen
• A blue print of what a final document should look like
76. How would you describe a "process?"
• A description of the steps that a user takes to perform a task
• A description of the overall performance of a system
• A description of a system or how a system operates
• A series of steps taken to perform an action in a task
77. Which of the following statements best describes what "minimalism" is?
• Writing thin manuals and procedures
• Minimizing the size of manuals and procedures by omitting important information
• A method of documentation that avoids swamping users with irrelevant information
• A method of voluminous documentation of task-oriented activity